Half Term Homework

Wow the first 7 weeks of the school year have flown by and we've made it to half term - well done on a great first half term Team NZ!

Now, I really do hope you rest up and relax over the half term holiday but, as promised, here's a little light homework - I don't want you to get bored!

Look at the following 'would you rather...' questions. Choose one that interests you and produce a piece of writing (250 words maximum) to persuade the reader of your point of view.

Use our visual organiser and success criteria (see Jasmine's, Anna's and Sarah's below) we created in class to help you include the features of a high quality piece of persuasive writing. The best examples will be printed and displayed on our class writing board.

Would you rather be 10 times smaller or 10 times bigger?
Would you rather be able to fly or go invisible?
Would you rather be attacked by 6 horses the size of ducks or 1 duck the size of a horse?
Would your rather be a the Prime Minister or the Queen/King of England?

Now get writing and remember to be safe and secure!

Mr Bailey

Comment 1 Comment by Jasmine F on 26 Oct 11 at 4:01pm | Quote this comment
I would rather be 10 times smaller.

I Jasmine F would rather be 10 times smaller for the reasons below.
Imagine the possibilities of being ten times smaller? I would suggest as the top reason for being ten times smaller is you would be able to ride your pet dog or cat like a horse! Then you would not have to pay the ridiculous expense of horse riding lessons! In fact being ten times smaller would allow you to study the insects and creatures that lurk beneath your feet, in a way that you could never achieve through a magnifying glass. Whereas, if you were ten times bigger you would squash any living thing that had the misfortune of walking under your feet!

As well as all these fascinating possibilities, going to the cinema would be a long forgotten treat.You would not have to leave the comfort of your house because your own television would become the size of a cinema screen (a treat every day).
Though if you were ten times bigger, you would not be able to watch the television at all because you would not be able to even fit in your own house to watch it.

If fashion is important to you then you would love to be small for you would be able to dress in Barbie or ken clothing. Swim suits to ski wear, disco/party to just casual. Wouldn't you love to do that? The supply would be endless. Ten times bigger means far less choice and more expense.

So these are my reasons why I would love to be 10 times smaller. I do hope you agree with me.
Comment 2 Comment by Mr Herring on 26 Oct 11 at 4:35pm | Quote this comment
Jasmine, some great reasons for preferring the 10 times smaller option! I was laughing out loud when you mentioned about having a cinema experience every day - brilliant! I wonder whether anyone will argue for being 10 times bigger? I look forward to reading people's responses before making a final decision.
Comment 3 Comment by Abbie D on 27 Oct 11 at 4:32pm | Quote this comment
I would rather be invisible then be able to fly! by Abbie D.

I Abbie D would rather be invisible then be able to fly, here are my reasons why.

Firstly if your flying you will probably get lots of birds in your face, whereas if your invisible no-one will know your there people can just walk through you, so you do not have to move out of the way if people are in a hurry.

In fact, if you would prefer to choose flight, you could get blown away if there was a big storm about to start, whereas if you were a normal person who had the power to be invisible you would not.
Thirdly if you had the power to fly and you went out shopping when you got back to your front door you would not be able to get through with your massive wings, though if you choose to be invisible you could get through easily.

Next if you had the power to fly, if your queuing up for something for example like the cinema you would be knocking people over with your humungus wings, though if you are invisible you can just approach the counter go past the lady or man and just get your ticket without them seeing you.

As well as all these fasinating reasons heres another one lisening in to conversations. If your best friend has a secret and she or he tells someone, you could hear it to.

Therefore I Abbie D would rather be invisible than be able to fly.
Comment 4 Comment by Anna G on 29 Oct 11 at 10:05am | Quote this comment
Would you rather Fly or be invisible?
I am writing this to convince YOU, as the wonderful Wotton Public , to chose that you would rather fly than be invisible. I myself as a Blue Coat student would much prefer to Fly, but that's my personal opinion.
First of all you could travel alot easier because you wouldn't have to get stuck in traffic jams.(trust me I Know how annoying they are.)
Next, being invisible(Know way)would mean that knowone would know where you are, therefore bump into you and cause a serious accident.
My last reason is imagine all the wonderful veiws you see. Wouldn't you love to have such a chance to see the world from up above?
So, would you rather zoom and float lazily above the clouds or watch people as they stare through your tummy ? It's your choice!
Comment 5 Comment by Ebony J on 29 Oct 11 at 10:46am | Quote this comment
Would you rather be 10 times smaller or 10 times bigger?

Would you rather be 10 times smaller or ten times bigger? Personally i would rather be ten times smaller! Here are some good things about being ten times bigger or ten times smaller.

I would rather be ten times smaller because you could sneak into places without getting caught. You could also ride your pet hamster, rabbit or guinea pig! How cool would that be? Finally you could live in really small places like in a pumpkin or in a dolls house!

Imagine being 10 times bigger... Don't you find it annoying when you can't reach things? Well if you were ten times bigger you could reach anything! You would feel like a giant! You would have to have to have your own special house because you wouldn't be able to fit in a normal sized house. You would have to look out for people when you was out and about because you might squash someone! Imagine your in a running race... But imagine your ten times bigger in a running race! You could win SO easily, you would have biggers strides and if there was an emergency you could get there so quickly because of your GIANT feet and massive strides!!

What would you rather be, ten times bigger or ten times smaller?
Comment 6 Comment by Archie C on 30 Oct 11 at 6:18pm | Quote this comment
Would you rather fly or be invisible ?
I would rather be invisible because nobody could catch you if you were running as they could not see where you went, but if you could fly everybody could still see you.
If you were invisible you would never have to que up again but if you could fly people would still be able to see you and shout at you to get to the back of the que.
If you were invisible you could pinch other people's chips when you are at the seaside whereas we can all see the seagulls when they pinch our chips so flying would not help you get your diner!
Comment 7 Comment by Edward T on 31 Oct 11 at 9:25am | Quote this comment
Would you rather be able to fly or be invisible?

I Edward T would rather by able to fly for the following reasons:

I would rather be able to fly because I would never get in a traffic jam because I could just fly out of my car window whereas if I was invisible I would still have to sit in my car.

If I was on holiday and the drink stall was over the other side of the hotel if I was invisible I would still have to trudge all the way over there whereas if I could fly I could relax as I gently float over there and be first to get my drink.

Thirdly I would never have to go on a plane again, no more passport control, no more waiting for luggage that doesn't appear and best of all I could see the whole world and it wouldn't cost me a penny
plus my carbon footprint would be reduced.

That is why I would rather be able to fly than to be invisible.
Comment 8 Comment by William Sa on 31 Oct 11 at 9:38am | Quote this comment
Would you rather be 10 times smaller or 10 times bigger? I would rather be 10 times smaller for the reasons below.I you had a remote controlled car the you can pop into the car and a friend or relative could control the car but if you were 10 times bigger then you wouldn't fit in any type of car.Also if you have locked your self out of the house then you can crawl through the letterbox but if you were big then you wouldn't be able to and you will be stuck outside. If you cant find anywhere to sleep because your beds to big then you could just sleep in someone's dolls house but if you were big then you wouldn't fit in a dolls house or in a normal sized bed
Comment 9 Comment by Isobel R on 31 Oct 11 at 12:44pm | Quote this comment
Would you rather be able to fly or go invisible?
I would rather not do either, but if I had to choose I would prefer to fly as long as my family and friends could fly with me.
I don’t want to do either because I would stand out differently to all the other school children but actually if everybody could fly it would be great fun. At lunch or break/lunch we could practise our tumbles and cartwheels just think how great that will be.
The good thing is that I won’t have to walk to school but it’s a bit lazy too. The bad thing is that if none of my friends or family would be able to fly with me it would be lonely.
Also if my family could fly we would be able to go to our house in Spain a lot more because we won’t have to pay for the tickets/plane. Don’t you think it will be great to have a free holiday in the sun?
But actually I really don’t won’t to fly because it would be lonely without any friends or family to fly with.
Comment 10 Comment by Sarah C on 31 Oct 11 at 8:27pm | Quote this comment
I would rather fly than go invisible this is because...
To fly would be fun and exciting, to fly is very skillful but to be invisible needs no skill. You could explore the world where no-one has ever been before, if you were invisible you are just like an ordinary person that no-one can see. I would like to fly to a place where there is only nature and it is peaceful, like a rain forest or an iceberg.

Also it would save the enviroment by not using cars and flying insted.therefore you could teach other people how to fly and then there will be a lot less polution.So then the world would be a better place to live.
Comment 11 Comment by Archie Y on 31 Oct 11 at 9:02pm | Quote this comment
Would you rather be 10 times smaller or 10 times bigger?

I would rather be 10 times smaller than 10 times bigger for the reasons below.
Firstly, it would be alot more fun because you could fit in everything like toy cars, trains and lego ships. For example, I could drive a fast remote control car without passing a driving test.

Also if you were really small no one would notice you and you could do whatever you want. You could ride on the back of a guinea pig or hamster.

Finally your food bill will be very low because you would only have to eat one thing. Like a chip, that would be great.

If you were 10 times bigger, you would have to eat lots more and you wpuld break everything that is small.
Comment 12 Comment by Lillie W on 31 Oct 11 at 9:51pm | Quote this comment
Would you rather be able to fly or to be invisible?

I would rather be able to fly and here are my reasons why.

There would be less pollution as we wouldn’t need our own vehicles and public transport. Which would mean that you wouldn’t need to pay tax and the government would not need to spend as much money on airports and train stations.

Secondly you could experience the world from a completely different angle, and for most of we do not have the time and money to go on holidays all the time, but consequently if you could fly you could go anywhere in a moment’s notice. Furthermore you could understand birds and animals more than we can now. Also people could travel overseas to other tribes and learn more about different cultures.

Also people would have more control of their bodies, as there wouldn’t be as bigger danger of them injuring themselves (like falling off things!) Therefore there would be less health and safety risk.

I hope you now agree with me that flying is a better skill to master than being invisible.
Comment 13 Comment by Dylan B on 01 Nov 11 at 5:57pm | Quote this comment
would you rather fly or be invisible
I would rather be invisible than fly these are my reasons why
It would be better to be invisible than fly b
Comment 14 Comment by Chloe B on 01 Nov 11 at 8:07pm | Quote this comment
Would you rather be able to fly or become invisible?
I would rather be able to fly, and here are my reasons why:
Because If I was flying I could easily be captured by a larger creature. If there was an eagle flying in the sky and there was a humming bird flying below, then the eagle would have the advantage”. Second to that, if you were invisible, no one could see you. You would be camouflaged and in disguise. Thirdly, because of the camouflage and disguise, you would have the power to do what you want.
And that is why I would rather be invisible.
Comment 15 Comment by Anna B on 01 Nov 11 at 9:10pm | Quote this comment
Would you rather be able to fly or go invisible?

I Anna B would rather be able to fly than go invisible here are my reasons why:

I think that it would be better to fly than go invisible because you could spy on some one. How? Well you can saw through the sky and suddenly stop when you find the suspect and they won't notice because you are above them.(But remember use your powers for good not evil like evil Mr Bailey!) It will also be useful to the police.It will help the police by spotting criminals, as soon as you spot them BAM you can frantically zoom down and capture the dirty rotten thieves.

Also if you could fly you could turn into any flying animal like a bat- you could hear well or an owl- then you could twist your head right round and last but not least an eagle then you woulg have AMAZING vision.

Finally if you are a bit lazy you could fly around in stead of walk. But if you were invisible if you wanted to go and see the amazing sites on a walk you would have to trudge along but if you were gliding you could just speed along. Just think when we have to run round the field in games you could fly round and it would'nt take as much effort as when you walk round Tesco with your parents you could lift off and go.

So I would rather fly than go invisible. What would YOU want to turn into? A brilliant flying specie or a rubbish invisible character just stood in the gloom?
Comment 16 Comment by Jamie C on 01 Nov 11 at 9:25pm | Quote this comment
Would you rather be able to fly or become invisible?
I would rather be able to fly because I could fly away from a test.I could fly to school.I could fly around the world and see diffrant places.In sted of walking the dog's I could fly around the field. I could fly with the birds and chase the airoplanes. And I could not do these if I was invisible.If onle I could fly.
Comment 17 Comment by Archie D on 02 Nov 11 at 7:16am | Quote this comment
Would you rather be ten times smaller or ten times bigger?

I would rather be ten times bigger because you will be alot stronger so you wouldn't have to worry about lifting heavy things, also You will also be alot faster so you can every race.

Secondly you could walk to more places beacuse of you're longer legs, you could carry people aswell so it will cause less polluiton by traveling by car.

Next you can see over almost everything because you are so tall,how fun would that be?
Have you ever tried to reach something but no matter how hard you try you just can't get it? Well if you ten times bigger you can reach the very highest things.

You could also let little children use you're shoes as a canoe. They could also use you're jumper as a tent and you're socks as slepping bags.

If you were so small you could get stood on very easily and you could fall in small cracks in the ground. Seeing as you are so small no-one will hear you or see you so if you were injured you will be stuck there by you're self.

Hoping you now agree with me being bigger is alot better than being smaller.
Comment 18 Comment by Dylan B on 02 Nov 11 at 4:11pm | Quote this comment
would you rather be ten times bigger or ten times smaller.
I would rather be ten times bigger these are my reasons why
First If you are ten times bigger you would be alot quicker becuase you would have giant legs if you were ten times smaller you would be slow becuase your legs would be tiny.

Secondly if you were in giant crouds you would be able to see over becuase you a giant if you were ten times smaller everybody would tower over you.
When you were working on a house you could reach up there eserly and if your ten times smaller you would hafto get a giant ladder.

Penultimately if you were bigger you would'nt get stamed on if you were ten times smaller
you would be tiny and fall through all of the cracks.
Comment 19 Comment by Jack T on 02 Nov 11 at 8:00pm | Quote this comment
would you rather be attacked by 6 horses the size of ducks or 1 duck the size of a horse? 1duck the size of a horse. because you could ride it like a horse although it would eat lots bred. it would shed a lot of feathers so many you could make a hundred pillows from them. it would make a lot of laughing noises! it would be the biggest duck in the world it would be immense and loads of people from all over the planet would visit it and i would be rich. It would keep the baker in business because he would have to bake so much bread to feed the giant duck. Instead of ducks being hunted by foxes, the duck could hunt the foxes.

This duck is a male and he would have to find a massive female mate. They would live in an aquarium and have lots if giant duck babies and dominate the world.
Comment 20 Comment by Max W on 03 Nov 11 at 6:38am | Quote this comment
Would you rather be ten times smaller or ten times bigger?
I would rather be ten times smaller. Underneath are the reasons why:
Firstly if you were going to a theme park you wouldn't have to pay because no one would see you. Secondly, if you were walking and you were tired someone could pop you into their pocket.This would be really cosy. Imagine if you could fly on the back of a bird. You could travel all over the world,searching out the warm weather so it would be summer all year round and all for free. If you had a house cat you could ride on its back around the house. Penultimately if you were waiting in a gigantic queue you could just walk to the front and no one would notice.
Finally you could have adventures in your lego models that you have made.

If you were big everyone would stare at you which would be embarassing.
So being smaller has several more advanatages.
Comment 21 Comment by Mr Ryan on 03 Nov 11 at 10:58am | Quote this comment
By Saskia:
Quoting saskia:
I would rather fly than be invisible.......
so that I could travel anywhere free of charge.
I could go to see my Grandma and Grandad in Lancashire and my Grandma in Holland.
I could fly over Wembly and see a football match, or fly to Spain and see a fiesta.
I could fly to Eygpt and land on a pyramid, or fly to Nepal and land on Mount Everest.

If I had been able to fly a few weeks ago I could have flown the whole class, and Mr. Bailey, to New Zealand to see the Rugby World Cup.
Comment 22 Comment by Oliver H on 03 Nov 11 at 4:11pm | Quote this comment
I would rather be able to fly then be invisable.
Here are the reasons why i think it is much better for people to be able to fly then be invisable.
My best reson why its good to fly because its better for the iviroment,and its better for cars and planes.
Another reason is if everyone can fly they could go any where,when you fly and you would not have to stop so it would be easy to vist friends and family and its FREE.
Another reason why flying is so good its because it would be so much quicker then using a car because when your flying there now traffic up in the sky.
and it would be so much safer if you fall off a ladder you could just flap away.
Comment 23 Comment by Sam M on 03 Nov 11 at 5:48pm | Quote this comment
Would you rather be 10 times smaller or 10 times bigger

I would rather be 10 times smaller because I would be able to fit in to nooks and crannies, I would be able to see the parts of my house that I don’t usually. I could fit through the holes in the floor boards.
I would also be able to climb up flowers stalks. That means that I could camp on the head of the flower and wear the pollen as face paint. When I wake up in the morning from camping on the flowers head I can wash my face with the dew.
If I was 10x smaller I would be able to ride my dog like a horse that means that I could go as far as my heart desires and not wear my little legs out.
I would be always win at hide and seek because I would be able to hide is small places that others won't be able to go.
I would be able to go in side all of my Lego and play in them without any body knowing wear I was.
This is why I think it would be better to be small than big.
Comment 24 Comment by Lucy B on 03 Nov 11 at 6:54pm | Quote this comment
Why it is better to fly than go invisible.
I would rather fly than go invisible because you could go anywhere in the world. By being able to fly you could see things that no one else had seen before. Places and things you could not get to by aeroplane, train, coach / bus, car, boat, by walking or any other types of transport. It would be possible to see into craters of volcanoes, hidden valleys or tree tops of gloomy rainforests.
Flying would be a great feeling, you could do somersaults, cartwheels, backflips in the air. It would be great fun. You would be free and liberated from gravity. It would feel relaxing or exciting. You could drift with the clouds or chase birds. You would experience how Wendy felt when she was flying with Peter Pan!
You could save lots of money travelling far and near when you fly. It is an opportunity to save a reasonable amount for petrol, diesel and fares. Being invisible is not as good because although you could travel free you would only be able to use existing forms of transport. If you were on the bus someone might sit on your lap! Or stand on your toe! And your friends would not be able to see you. So that is why I would rather be able to fly. It would be BRILLIANT!!!
Comment 25 Comment by Isobel B on 03 Nov 11 at 8:07pm | Quote this comment
10 times bigger or 10 times smaller?

I’m trying to convince you that it would be so much better to be 10 times bigger than smaller, here are my reasons why.

Firstly it would take less steps to places because your strides would be bigger so one pace would be the same as at least 7 normal paces therefore we wouldn’t need to drive as much so that would help save the planet. Wouldn’t you, the reader, like that?

Secondly you would be able to rescue animals or people in danger, for example being trapped on the roof of a burning building or if someone got washed out to sea because you would be tall enough to reach out to the building or
Wade out to sea.

Finally it wouldn’t be as likely for you to get injured in unfortunate accidents like being attacked by some sort of large animal because you would be tall. Where as if you were smaller you would be squished by your own pet cat or dog…or maybe even hamster!

I hope I have convinced you that it would be far better to be 10 times bigger than 10 times smaller.
Comment 26 Comment by Saskia N on 03 Nov 11 at 9:19pm | Quote this comment
I would rather be able to fly than be invisible

So that I could travel for free. I could visit my grandma and grandad in Lancashire, also I could visit my grandma in Holland.

I could fly over Wembly and watch football and fly to Spain to see a Fiesta.
I could fly to Egypt and land on a pyramid.
I could fly over Nepal and land on mount Everest.

If I was able to fly a few weeks ago I would have been able to take the whole class and Mr Bailey to the rugby world cup in New Zealand.
All of this could be done without fuel.

Which is better for the environment and will help STOP global warming.
Comment 27 Comment by Hetty P on 04 Nov 11 at 7:36am | Quote this comment
I Hetty would definitely prefer to be able to fly then to be invisible mainly because of the reasons below but also because of this. Sometimes when I dream I am flying swirling twirling swift as a swallow and never falling. It’s wonderful even though it’s only a dream!

Would you like to fly? All the places you could go all the things you could see. You wouldn’t have to pay a thought to the cost or the time to book a plane ticket.

Ever thought of buying a remote controlled aeroplane or helicopter? Well if you could fly then YOU could perform all the moves your self zigzagging, turning, wirling, swirling and looping through the sky, it would be at least double the fun as using a remote to do it all.

Flying would give such exhilaration like running but with nothing in your way to make you stop, you could fly the whole way around the Earth and meet nothing to make you halt.

I hope that, if you didn’t all ready you now agree that flying is better than being invisible and even if I haven’t yet convinced you, you’ll at least think about it.