I HAVE A DREAM!

Luther KingMartin Luther King Jr. crafted arguably one of the most significant speeches of all time. It sparked a revolution and was a defining moment in the American campaign for racial equality.  The phrase ‘I have a dream...’ is known throughout the world and many people have used it in their own speeches.

Speeches are part of our lives and we will hear countless speeches throughout our lifetimes. This may be listening to politicians on T.V, a best man or father of the bride at a wedding, a preacher at church or a teacher in school. The can make us laugh, cry, sign up, sign out, calm us down or propel us to action.

Class India has been studying persuasive language in literacy as well as making speeches in IPC of our own such as the hobbies homework and this afternoon’s game of persuading people to join our political parties.

Today’s big question is: What makes a good speech? (Please give examples, including those from class or outside)

Comment 1 Comment by Alex L on 21 Sep 12 at 3:40pm | Quote this comment
I think a good speech needs to have up to date information and the speaker needs to be loud,clear and confident.
Comment 2 Comment by Jessica R on 22 Sep 12 at 9:40am | Quote this comment
I think that a good speech is when a person is loud,confident,clear and passionate.It helps if it is entertaining and includes the audience.I like speeches best when they make me laugh. :lol:
Comment 3 Comment by Ima Pupil on 22 Sep 12 at 11:56am | Quote this comment
great!
Comment 4 Comment by Archie C on 23 Sep 12 at 9:22am | Quote this comment
A good speech is one that the speaker is confident, enthusiastic and passionate about thie subject. A good example of this is Winston Churchill's speech "we shall fight them on the beaches".
Comment 5 Comment by Archie C on 23 Sep 12 at 9:42am | Quote this comment
A good speech is one that makes you listen too no matter what else is happening. The teller has to be confident, enthusiastic and passionate about what they are talking about. A good example is Winston Churchill's "We shall fight them on the beaches"
We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
This speech was given just after we lost a major battle at the beginning of WW2. This gave people belief that not all was lost.
Comment 6 Comment by Erin J on 23 Sep 12 at 5:08pm | Quote this comment
I think that a good speech has to be nice and clear, be persausive and have some humour in it.Also it needs to have emotive langauge and possibly props to support your talk. 8)
Comment 7 Comment by Emily J on 24 Sep 12 at 6:38pm | Quote this comment
A brilliant speech is when the speeker is persausive, has a viraty of tones in their voice(so its interesting!) and is entertaining! :D
Comment 8 Comment by J W on 25 Sep 12 at 3:14pm | Quote this comment
I think a good speech is made up of loud clear confident voices and well thought out words ,also in interesting voices. :-)
Comment 9 Comment by Eloise W on 26 Sep 12 at 5:45pm | Quote this comment
I think a good speech needs to be polite yet persuasive. The speaker needs to be loud, but not shout. It should not be boring. :zzz
Comment 10 Comment by Christopher L on 28 Sep 12 at 6:18pm | Quote this comment
I think that a good speech has to have emotive languge,some humour and exaddurated points.
Comment 11 Comment by ed.m on 28 Sep 12 at 7:26pm | Quote this comment
I think that a good speech is when the person is confident and now what they are going to say.
Comment 12 Comment by Charlie R on 29 Sep 12 at 5:35pm | Quote this comment
I think a good speech should contain an enthusiastic, clear and loud speaker, up to date infomation and maybe some humor. I'm enjoying the work in class!
Comment 13 Comment by Mr Stanton on 01 Oct 12 at 11:09am | Quote this comment
Great comments Class India! I have enjoyed this topic and think you have all learnt a lot. Hoping you are now better prepared for election day following this work.